Well we’ve been back in Australia for almost a week and, except for the jet-lag, have settled back into our daily routine.
I should’ve blogged more frequently while we were back in England, but I just didn’t get a chance because we squeezed so many things into this trip. I’ll upload some pictures as soon as Sara empties her digital camera.
Here are a few highlights:
- Sara and her mum spent a few days at Ribby Hall, near Blackpool, with Charlotte and Geoffrey whilst I was in Germany. Believe it or not, it took Sara 4 hours to drive the 50-odd miles from Oldham, somehow stopping off at Leeds and Bradford on the way! 😮
- When I arrived in Manchester I upgraded my pre-booked hire car to a brand new Mercedes E330 Estate, as a little treat to myself. b-)
- We had a night out around Lees with Rob, Lynda, Max, Diane, Stuart, Phil, Ian and Louise. Nothing has changed there, really.
- We went to Chester Zoo with Sara’s mum and dad, June, Geoffrey and Louise. Charlotte absolutely loved it and we took plenty of pictures and video footage. 😡
- I really enjoyed watching United in the Black Horse with Tom Dean, even though Chelsea settled the title within a few minutes of kick off.
- I had a great all dayer in Manchester with Adrian, Duncan and Paul and, as well as the usual pubs, we landed up in a emo/goth bar in Ancoats. 😕
- We caught up with Sara’s cousins Collette, Sally and Hayley.
- We paid a flying visit to the College with Charlotte, but didn’t get a chance to see many people. Caught up with Pete and Talei, went for a pint with RobH, bumped into Dave Mills one evening in the Kings Arms. By chance Chippy Steve and Gary were also in the pub one night.
- Sara and Charlotte stayed over at Rachel’s house in Crewe, where Charlotte enjoyed playing with the dolls house and stealing Sian’s wine gums. :[email protected]
- I had another all dayer in Manchester with Rob, Stu, Phil and Max, ending up in the charming Wetherspoons pub on Piccadilly. #-o
- Sara had a couple of nights out with Cathy and Karen.
- The weather was great most of the time, we even managed a sunny day trip to Blackpool with Sara’s dad. b-)
- We satisfied our cravings: Two curries at Vamasaki, two curries at Blue Tiffin, four dodgy kebabs, rag pudding at the Black Ladd, Hollands Cheese and Onion pie, black pudding, hairy pork scratchings, Pizza Hut, chips and gravy/curry, salt-and-pepper ribs…
- … and over a hundred bags of crisps. :@)
We also had some business to take care of: closing some old bank accounts and carrying out an inspection of our old house on Ripponden Road, which is currently vacant again and desperately needs a lick of paint. :)]
We were stunned by how cheap things are in the UK. We’ve become used to having less choice and paying over the odds for groceries and clothes in Australia; our visit to the new HUGE Tesco on Huddersfield Road made us realise what we’re missing down under. The Aussie supermarkets are very poor in comparison. $-)
It was fantastic seeing everyone again but, as happened on our last visit, we just ran out of time and couldn’t visit everyone. :((
Luckily we managed to avoid the volcanic ash cloud and the British Airways strikes on our way home. I was back in work the next day, which forced me to adapt to the different time zone, but Sara and Charlotte are still struggling. It’s nice sleeping in your own bed though, after three weeks away from home. |-)
I’ll upload some photos to t’gallery when we’ve had a chance to sort through them.